Recreation and tourism
|March 5, 2011||Posted by ivailo under Vidin|
Moira – Bononia Hotel,Hotel Avramov,Ninov Hotel,Dounav Hotel,Military Club Hotel,MV Vidin,Bozhuritsa Hut
Bononia Tourism Association
BX-90 Angelovi & Co. ,ATOS
Danube Riverbank Park
With its preserved original layout, the park is a historic landmark. The combination of an English park layout and Baroque forms of vegetation gives the park an unique, typically Bulgarian look. The riverbank park is located along the bank of the Danube and includes wonderful beaches and recreation places.
The riverbank park was built in four consecutive stages: 1878 – 1899, 1911 – 1928, 1928 – 1939; and 1939 – 1960. Significant architectural monuments are incorporated in the park, such as Veda Theater, the mosque, Telegraph Kapiya, the Turkish post office, the Baba Vida fortress, as well as archaeological and memorial sites that provide visual contact with the Danube. Other public green areas include: Vladikina Bahcha Park, where Vidin’s bishop’s summer residence used to be located. The garden over the moat, located in the section of the filled-up fortress moat. Nora Chelebi Pizanti Park, where the Vidin fair used to take place. Maiski Les Park The Hunting Park close to the city. Nice flower gardens have been formed around the large public buildings, which make the city look fresh, clean and cosy.
Orlyaka recreation area
Located on the riverbank, 4 kilometers southwest of Vidin, this area consists of the Dounav camping lot. The area provides great short-term recreation opportunities, such as water sports and fishing. It is easily accessible from the city. The Vidin – Kalafat ferryboat line is located close to the area. Area visitors include transit tourists, both Bulgarians and foreigners. Accessible by a paved road.
Bozhuritsa recreation area
Located 18 km away from Vidin, between the villages of Sinagovtsi, Ivanovtsi and Milchina Luka. Has a small dam. The area has a total of 600 beds, including those of the Bozhuritsa Hut and the recreational facilities owned by companies and organizations. The area offers short-term and long-term recreation opportunities in a forest environment, as well as swimming, rowing and fishing opportunities. The possibilities for forest walks and treks are great and the area is abundant of mushrooms, wild fruits and herbs. The existence of wilde game (deer, wild boar, rabbits, pheasants, etc.) offers good hunting opportunities. The area can be easily accessed from Vidin and the neighboring communities. Regular bus lines are available.
Today, Vidin is a complex mix of elements from all periods of its development. The antique Roman, mediaeval Bulgarian, Turkish, post-Liberation and new period of Vidin’s development have all left their mark on buildings, monuments and on the look of the city as a whole.
The Baba Vida Castle
The Kaleto Fortress
The Koluka Turkish Konak
Osman Pazvantouglou’s Mosque and Library
Only the mosque and the library have remained from Pazvantoglou’s compound, built at the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century. The compound has probably included a medrese (school) or a zavie (a small Muslim religious cloister).
The mosque is a solid stone building with a strict oriental structure. Pazvantoglou dedicated it to his father who was decapitated in Vidin on sultan’s order.
The library is a stone, square, single-dimensional building, covered by a dome of lead tin, with a small open foyer. The inscription at the entrance states that Pazvantoglou has dedicated it to his late mother.
The Mausoleum of Antim I
The St. Panteleymon Church
The church is located in the courtyard of the Vidin Bishopric. The church is single-nave, half built into the ground, with a semicylindrical dome. The apse is wide, slightly prolonged, the narthex is dimly lighted. The walls are stone, with four rows of bricks and a jagged stone ledge under the ceiling. The inscription over the entrance states that the church was built over older foundations in 1634. The interior is painted. Belts and medallions with figures of saints are located on the upper parts of the walls and the dome is painted witg gospel scenes. Christ and Mary are depicted in two medallions in the center of the dome.
The Slavonic inscription over the entrance states that the church was painted under Vidin bishop Sofronii in 1646. The old icon-holder wasn’t preserved. The church keeps two icons with precious repousse covers, made by prominent Vidin jewellers in 1823 and 1832.
The St. Dimitar Cathedral
The construction of the first church with this name began in the 17th century. The church was wooden and existed for two and a half centuries. In that church, on December 6, 1868, Vidin bishop Antim I (later the first Bulgarian ekzarkh) announced the secession of the Vidin bishopry from the Constantinople patriarch. A decision to build a new church was made on December 9, 1884, and the old temple was demolished in 1889. The first stone of the new church was placed at a grand ceremony on March 10, 1885. The first service was held on October 26, 1900, at the church’s day. The interior decoration was completed in July, 1926, and it was opened by Vidin bishop Neofit on October 3-4 of the same year.
The St. Petka Church
The church was finished in 1636. It is built even deeper in the ground than St. Panteleymon. The late, narrower narthex has a domed entry to the naos, which is shorter, with a semicyllindrical entrance and niches along the walls. A preserved Slavonic inscription over the entrance states that the church was painted in 1633 with the support of Wallach voyvoda John Matey Besaraba.
The St. Nikolai Church
The church was built in 1926 on design by architect Kosta Nikolov who also supervised the construction works.
The church is built at the place of the old belltower and the outhouse St. Panteleymon. The outhouse was used as a St. Nikola temple (1799). Today, the St. Nikolai church is a part of the compound including St. Panteleymon (1634), the Vidin Bishopric (1924), the Mausoleum of Antim I (1934) and the eparchy school (1926).
The church is three-nave, cross-domed, with one apse, a narthex and towers. Besides a back gallery for visitors, there are also two galleries along the sides. The walls are completely painted.
he building is located close to the Baba Vida castle.
It was built in 1894 as a Jewish prayer home. The author of the architectural design is unknown.
The building stands free in a triangular lot. Construction was financed by Jewish traders.
The layout is absolutely symmetrical, even-shaped, of the three-nave single-apse basilica type, with a narthex, galleries and four towers. The internal dimensions of the prayer room are 21 by 10 meters. The interior is decorated with elements of ancient Jewish and classic architectural forms. The narthex is covered by cross-shaped domes and there are two marble plates and two reliefs with brozne inscriptions in Hebrew. The three naves are separated by an arcade of bronze-plated pig iron columns. The floor is covered with mosaics and wood. The altar is placed on a dais in the apse. It probably repeats the architecture of an ancient Jewish temple.
The central nave of the prayer room has very good acoustics. It is covered with cyllindrical ribs.
The facade is imposing. The central entrance has a semicircular arch placed on two columns with high footings. A round window with an iron bar shaped as a six-ray star is placed in the middle of the arcade. The four towers have arch-like windows with tinted glass and fine decorative grids.
After 1950 the building was used as a warehouse which has deteriorated its condition. Today, the synagogue is undergoing restoration.
The Cross-Shaped Barracks
The building was finished in 1801 at the place of the old saray’s garden and was used as a konak by the enichars (home of the enichar aga). A covered wooden bridge connected it with the neighboring armory.
After the Liberation, the building was used by the Bulgarian army as barracks. It is a solid two-story building, with a total built-up area of 1,260 sq. m, in the shape of an even cross.
Each wing has a corridor with different location of rooms. The initial layout is unknown, as it has been changed several times to accommodate new departments. The original look and location of the stairways connecting the two levels are also unknown. The basement and ground floor walls are made of stone and brick.
Of the interior, the four columns with sharp corners are especially imposing. So are the gallery, the underligned stability of the middle section. The walking line is naturally oriented towards the four corridors. The central section is one of the most representative parts of the building.
The building has four almost independent patios. The entrances are located in the corners of the midsection diagonals. In a later period, a clock tower was built in a square next to the barracks. Unfortunately, the clock tower has not been preserved