Home » History » Mosque of El Haj Huseyin

Mosque of El Haj Huseyin

Mosque of El Haj Huseyin

Mosque of El Haj Huseyin

This mosque is located in the city of Belogradchik’s main street.  Built for El Haj Huseyin A#a in 1757-58, it is a reconstruction of an earlier mosque.  Someone decoratively painted over the door and mihrab (a niche in the qibla – a wall that indicated the direction of Mecca) in the 19 th century.  In the 20 th century, the tile roof was restored to protect the walls and interior from moisture.  The site is now derelict.  By law, the mosque is under ownership of the Central “Myuftistvo” of Sofia, but in practice, the mosque belongs to the Belogradchik Museum and the Municipality of Belogradchik.

The mosque is situated along Belogradchik.  It consists of a rectangular basilica with protruding eaves and a wood columned porch.  The exterior was constructed of rough provincial stonework periodically leveled with interspaced wooden beams.  The mosque formerly had a magnificent carved wooden ceiling that was removed sometime in the late 20 th century.  The building measures approximately nine by 12 meters.
Belogradchik (little Belgrade) is characterized by its spectacular, soaring rock formations and as such has been a strategically important citadel location throughout history.  The citadel above the town is from the late Ottoman period but contains surviving elements from many periods before.  This mosque was the main mosque of the town, which huddled below the heights of the fortress (the present-day town center is located on a lower level).  The mosque was famed for its magnificent carved wooden ceiling, which was still intact during the 1970s.  At present, nothing remains of the carved ceiling elements within the mosque itself; a small portion is preserved in the local museum.
The exterior is stable, though the interior is gutted.  The town agrees that the interior should be restored but funds were lacking at the time of our survey.

This mosque is located in the city of Belogradchik’s main street.  Built for El Haj Huseyin A#a in 1757-58, it is a reconstruction of an earlier mosque.  Someone decoratively painted over the door and mihrab (a niche in the qibla – a wall that indicated the direction of Mecca) in the 19th century.  In the 20th century, the tile roof was restored to protect the walls and interior from moisture.  The site is now derelict.  By law, the mosque is under ownership of the Central “Myuftistvo” of Sofia, but in practice, the mosque belongs to the Belogradchik Museum and the Municipality of Belogradchik.    The mosque is situated along Belogradchik.  It consists of a rectangular basilica with protruding eaves and a wood columned porch.  The exterior was constructed of rough provincial stonework periodically leveled with interspaced wooden beams.  The mosque formerly had a magnificent carved wooden ceiling that was removed sometime in the late 20th century.  The building measures approximately nine by 12 meters.  Belogradchik (little Belgrade) is characterized by its spectacular, soaring rock formations and as such has been a strategically important citadel location throughout history.  The citadel above the town is from the late Ottoman period but contains surviving elements from many periods before.  This mosque was the main mosque of the town, which huddled below the heights of the fortress (the present-day town center is located on a lower level).  The mosque was famed for its magnificent carved wooden ceiling, which was still intact during the 1970s.  At present, nothing remains of the carved ceiling elements within the mosque itself; a small portion is preserved in the local museum. The exterior is stable, though the interior is gutted.  The town agrees that the interior should be restored but funds were lacking at the time of our survey.

Tags: Belogradchik, mosque, Mosque of El Haj Huseyin, Museum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>